One-time payment support for Canadians living with disabilities
The Government of Canada has announced a one-time payment of $600 to help persons living with disabilities, in recognition of some of the extraordinary expenses they have encountered during the COVID-19 pandemic. Individuals who are determined to be eligible for the disability tax credit (DTC) or certain other disability-related benefit programs, may be entitled to receive the payment.
This payment complements other emergency supports, such as the one-time special payment through the Goods and Services Tax Credit and the one-time payment to seniors. Approximately 1.7 million Canadians will receive the one-time payment.
Individuals who are eligible for the one-time payment include:
- individuals who have an existing valid Disability Tax Credit (DTC) certificate
- persons who are eligible for the DTC and who apply for it by September 25, 2020
- beneficiaries as at July 1, 2020 of either:
- Canada Pension Plan Disability
- Quebec Pension Plan Disability Pension, or
- one of the following disability supports provided by Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC):
- Disability Pension
- Disability Award
- Pain and Suffering Compensation
- Critical Injury Benefit
- Rehabilitation Services and Vocational Assistance Program
- Income Replacement Benefit, and/or
- Canadian Forces Income Support
You do not have to apply to receive this payment. The payment consists of a one-time, non-taxable and non-reportable amount of $600. We expect to issue the payments beginning this fall. The payment information will be provided once available.
Canadians living with disabilities who are eligible for the DTC but who have not yet applied, will have until September 25, 2020 to do so. For more information on how to apply for the DTC, please visit: http://www.canada.ca/disability-tax-credit.
Recipients of the payment are encouraged to make sure their address and banking information is up to date in order to receive prompt payment. For callers who need help with changing their address, updating direct deposit, accessing My Account, or questions related to the DTC or their application, they can call CRA’s Individual Enquiries Line at 1-800-959-8281 (English) and 1-800-959-7383 (French) between 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (local time) Monday to Friday.
You can visit the COVID-19 benefits finder for more information on the benefits that you may qualify for.
If you want to know more about the One-time payment support for Canadians living with disabilities, please visit: